Inter Vivos Trusts - suffixes for identification of Offices of the Master of the High Court
In terms of Chief Masters Directive 7 of 2014 all the trust numbers of inter Vivos Trusts must be amplified with a relevant suffix added to the trust number, in order to indicate the Master's office where the trust was registered.
2. Suffixes to Trust Numbers
In future all newly drafted deeds and documents presented for registration must reflect the appropriate suffix as reflected in para 3 below, to identify the Master's office where the trust was registered, by adding the suffix to the number of inter Vivos Trust eg. IT 1/2014(T) for Pretoria: IT 1/2014(G) for Johannesburg.
It will remain the responsibility of the conveyancer who prepares the relevant deed or document for registration, to confirm the correct office where the trust was registered and to reflect the correct suffix in the trust number.
No Section 4(1)(b) of Act 47/1937 application need to be lodged to rectify any deed registered before the implementation of this circular.
3. Suffixes to identify Master’s Offices
The following suffixes must be used in identifying inter vivos trust filed in various offices.
4. Effective date
- All Deeds and Documents lodged for registration from 1 November 2014 must reflect the correct information.
- All applications and documents, excluding deeds containing an execution clause, signed before 1 November 2014 will still be accepted without the suffix.
- A conveyancer's certificate can be accepted for Transfer Duty Receipts not reflecting the suffix in the Trust number.