Re-Introducing the Constitution: A known unknown?
The National Association of Democratic Lawyers (NADEL) recognise the Constitution as the founding document of our democracy and fully respect and promote the values and principles enshrined in it.
We are therefore embarking on an enrichment course aimed at empowering attorneys by re-introducing you to the Constitution and the active role it plays in day-to-day practice. Whether you are a sole practitioner, offer legal aid, or practice within a small to medium firm, this course will offer enriching principles for you practice.
This course will re-introduce you to the Constitution and is aimed at empowering attorneys to use the Constitution as the first call of reference. The one-day seminar offers the following outcomes:
- The Constitution as the foundation to all laws in South Africa.
- Beyond the Bill of Rights: Discussing all important elements of the 14 Chapter Constitution.
- How to use the Constitution as a first call of reference.
- Using the Constitution as an argumentative tool and not merely a tool to be used when seeking to extract a specified remedy.
- How to communicate Constitutional rights to clients in a plain and effective manner.
- Doing away with legal jargon when explaining Constitutional rights.
- Understanding the risk of making assumptions and pre-set perceptions relating to a client’s understanding of Constitutional rights.
- All rights carry corresponding responsibilities and how to balance these.
This seminar will include multiple practical exercises, group break-aways, and group exercises.
Who should attend?
- Candidate attorneys
- Legal advisors working with the poor and marginalised
- Legal aid officers
- Civil society and NGOs offering assistance to the poor and marginalised
Course Dates and Duration
The course will be conducted as a full-day seminar with sessions being presented at:
|Potchefstroom||8 May 2017||08:00 - 16:30|
|Durban||11 May 2017||08:00 - 16:30|
|Richards Bay||12 May 2017||08:00 - 16:30|
|Polokwane||17 May 2017||08:00 - 16:30|
|Johannesburg||19 May 2017||08:00 - 16:30|
Costs of the course
Registration for this course is free thanks to the generous contribution made by NADEL
Attendees will be responsible for their own arrangements and expenses in respect of travelling and/or accommodation.
For further details and queries please contact us on the following details:
Cell: 081 7107 910
Closing date for applications 3 May 2017
Leave a comment: