As a result of a number of enquiries which I have received about conveyancing courses for paralegals and conveyancing secretaries I have compiled the following list of courses which are either being run or are run on regular intervals during the year.
For general conveyancing courses I would recommend the following training academies who offer short courses in conveyancing and property law:
SA Law School - http://lawschool.co.za which offers a comprehensive, short course in conveyancing, including theory, finance and GhostConvey.
Centre for Conveyancing Practice - http://www.aktepraktyk.co.za/tikster_eng.html - which offers two six month courses for conveyancing typists and prospective conveyancing typists.
SA School of Paralegal Studies - http://www.paralegalstudies.co.za (website currently under maintenance).
For those who have time constraints and desire a quick, basic overview of conveyancing I may suggest:
LEAD (Legal Education and Development) - http://www.lssalead.org.za, offers 2 short basic conveyancing courses (See their respective course outlines below for ease of reference, with their respective learning outcomes).
As a matter of interest, there are no specific conveyancing courses/diploma’s which are registered with the South African National Qualifications Standard( SAQA) .
For those persons interested in the Black Conveyancers Association (BCA) Course.
About the Black Conveyancers Association (BCA)
The Black Conveyancers Association (BCA) was formed in May 2005 in response to the historical inequalities in the conveyancing industry. As the only identifiable, credible black conveyancing organisation, this organisation is instrumental in advancing and representing the interests of black conveyancers nationally.
Aims and Objectives
With its vision of transforming the conveyancing industry to reflect the demographics of South Africa the BCA association had to accept that the key to unlocking this vision remains education. The objective for the BCA is to deliver on its socio-political mandate within a context of improving the excellence and sustainability of the member firms and thereby achieving intellectual growth and endless potential.
It remains the aim of the BCA to ensure that its members have access to educational platforms that is supported by all the leading role players in the industry thereby ensuring mutually beneficial partnerships and ultimately providing a world class service to our clients, the banks. Continuous training and skills enhancement remains key to any conveyancing practise and further serves to enhance the overall experience to achieving our targets and goals.
Course Description and Scope of the Training Programme
Over a 5 month period students are introduced to the conveyancing landscape and learners are provided with a good working knowledge and understanding of what conveyancing is all about, who the role-players are and how their interaction proceeds, what the conveyancing and registration process aims to achieve and an overview of what the transfer, bond and cancellation process entails.
Session overview includes the following:
- What conveyancing is about
- Immovable property, ownership and real rights
- The different faces of property ownership: freehold, leasehold, sectional titles, and others
- The South African Deeds Registration System
- The law relating to conveyancing
- Role-players in the transfer process
- Receiving and processing the transfer instruction
- Agreements: Terminology, legal principles and practice
- Common clauses in a property sale agreement
- Deeds office print-outs and deeds searches
- The FICA and its implications for conveyancing transactions
- Communicating with the role-players at the outset of the transfer
- The legal nature of clients,marriage law and conveyancing
- Companies, close corporations, trusts, partnerships
- Information and documents required
- Monitoring and reporting - drafting and signing of transfer documents
- Managing the finances in the transfer file
- Transfer duty and VAT rates/levy clearance, beetle and electrical compliance certificates
- Introduction to mortgage bonds
- Different types of bonds and drafting of bond documents
- Different types of bonds and drafting of bond documents
- Finances, lodgment, registration and winding up the file
- Cancellation of mortgage bonds
- Consumer Protection Act
- Brief summary of the National Credit Act from a conveyancing perspective –
- We also have practical sessions with GhostConvey trainers who take the learners thorough the capturing of a basic transfer and bond on GhostConvey software.
The course is formally lectured and student interaction and participation is encouraged by way of formal assignments, quick self-tests, formal tests, case studies and occasional role-play situations and self-study. On-going assessment (formal and informal) takes place in order to ensure the students keep up with the pace .The students are required to write a final examination at the end of the course.
Our lecturers are all members of the BCA group, all conveyancers who run their own law practices and bring with them a wealth of knowledge and practical work experience to our students.
Our textbook is the “ABC of Conveyancing” – Authors, M Botha and L Kilbourn
About this Publication
This publication deals with all aspects of conveyancing without pre-supposing any previous knowledge of conveyancing. The author, who runs a training institute for conveyancing secretaries, carefully explains all concepts and provides a step by step explanation through the conveyancing process. Apart from numerous examples, each chapter provides an overview of the learning outcome as well as a ‘test yourself’ section. All steps in the conveyancing process are illustrated with samples of documents, forms and precedents.
The course is currently facilitated in Cape Town, KwaZulu Natal and Port Elizabeth and we are endeavouring to roll out to other provinces soon, as well as to include an eLearning platform for accessibility to a wider target audience.
Do not hesitate to contact me for any further information via
Email: [email protected]
Mobile: 082 678 1185
National Course Facilitator
BCA TRAINING ACADEMY (BTA)