Notice 10 of 2013 Abbreviations relating to Companies and Closed Corpporations:
There seems to be a confusion whether abbreviations relating to Companies and Closed Corporations as far as their descriptions are concerned, are permitted or not and RCR 14/2008 as confirmed by RCR 13/2012 appears to cause further confusion in this regard.
RCR 14/2008 does not prohibit the abbreviation in the description of Companies or Closed Corporations and only confirmed that abbreviations relating to registration numbers of Companies, Closed corporations, Trusts, etc. are not permitted in deeds and documents tendered for registration, e.g.
Not permitted: Reg number, Registration No /Nr., Reg No.
Acceptable: Registration number / Registrasie nommer
- In terms of Section 11 of the Companies Act No.71 of 2008 and Section 22(1) of the Closed Corporations Act No. 69/1984 abbreviations in the description of Companies and Closed Corporations is permitted.
CRC 3/2012 confirms the use of recognised abbreviations in the description of Companies and Closed Corporations and the following full descriptions or abbreviations may still be used:
- Proprietary Limited or (Pty) Ltd.
- Eiendoms Beperk or (Edms) Bpk.
- Limited or Ltd.
- Beperk or Bpk.
- Incorporated or Inc.
- Closed Corporation or CC.
- Beslote Korporasie or BK.
Examiners must also take note of the other acceptable abbreviations relating to companies as referred to in CRC 3/2012 and apply it accordingly.